Medical Education for Russians at the University of Perugia

My questions:
I am Egor Kugno, a 15-year-old pupil of the 9th grade in Moscow school.
I have a small website — / where I write about my studies, exams and publish various answers from Russian ministries (about paying for studies abroad, transferring money for studies and so on)
The first 7 years I studied in an ordinary (good) Moscow school, had additional classes in biology (microbiology) and chemistry; last year I passed through the competition entrance exams to Chemical School #1501 — #10 in the rating of Moscow schools (it is approximately #30 among ALL schools in Russia). The school chemistry was very good — 6 hours a week, all year round (the standard in Russia is 2 hours a week, now there is no chemistry at all in humanities classes), but everything else, except chemistry, was not very good, and I went to 9th grade to school at the Higher School of Economics — (through entrance exams, of course) — where chemistry is a bit less, but everything else is much better)
Although I am still studying 2.5 years, I started researching universities of the world — to understand where I can go to study, what requirements I have to meet, whether to study languages other than English and Spanish that I am studying now at school, and of course — whether my parents will be able to pay for my education.
At the moment I am most interested in medicine (pathology, chemotherapy and hematology), chemistry (more like laboratory management) and pharmacy (more like managing science and research in a pharmaceutical company, but of course with a full understanding of what scientists do, and with a deep knowledge of biochemistry).
Right now I am studying primarily medical education, as it is the most complicated, expensive, there is a lot of information and it is the hardest to find.
Later I will gather information about chemical and pharmaceutical education.
I checked out your university’s website, but I have a few questions for you:
1. Is it possible to enter your university after I finished my 11 years of school in Russia — or do I need to take another course at a university in Russia?
I am studying English (I will graduate with a C1) and advanced chemistry and biology. Starting next year, our school will have compulsory participation in all the Olympiads in Russia for schoolchildren — all in all, it’s a great school.
But, as I wrote, we are only 11, not 12.
2. Do you have any students from Russia who are studying to be a doctor?
3. Are there any quotas for foreigners to study medicine at your university (and are there any quotas for Russians?)
4. Do I understand correctly — I need to study for 6 years?
5. Does your university have dormitories for students for the entire period of study?
5.1 If there are no dormitories (or there is a five-year waiting list), can the university act as a guarantor when renting accommodation?
6. What is the cost of tuition and living in dormitories and all other expenses per year for studying to be a doctor at your university (I mean education-related expenses — i.e. textbooks, labs, etc. — not including food and transportation, of course).
I know that prices are going up, but the overall costs need to be understood early on.
6.1. are there scholarships for Russians to study and/or live in?
7. What exams do I need to take besides English?
7.1 What language certificates do I need to register?
7.2 Is it possible to study in English?
This is an important question because I know that in most countries medical education is done in the national languages of the respective countries and I think that 2.5-3 years of training in any language is enough for level C1 — if taken seriously.
7.3 Are internal Russian achievements recognized and important (participation in Olympiads, successful passing exams in Russian universities)
8. Is it compulsory to take preparatory and/or language courses at your university before entering university?
9. What is the further procedure of training as a doctor after graduation (postgraduate course, residency, specialization) and obtaining a medical license (if you know)?
10. Will I be able to work after graduation?
11. If training to be a doctor is not possible, please tell me if it is possible to study to be a pharmacist (if you have one) and a chemist (biotechnology, as an option — chemical engineering for pharmacy)
Great if you can indicate in your answer if it is possible to study in English for a chemist or a pharmacist)
P.S. Even though I’m only 15 years old, I’ve started seriously looking for a university to get a good education. I have noticed that many universities put information in PDF format on their websites. This, in my opinion, is very wrong. Not everyone REALLY knows English (French, Chinese….), and such guys, going to a university website and not finding information that can be read in Google Translate, will leave forever and not come back.
Sorry for the unsolicited advice))) — But it would be great to have all the information about the university not only in PDF format, but also as plain text on the websites)))
P.S.2. If you have students from Russia, could you give them my email address or forward them my letter?
I would love to talk to them.
Thank you very much again.
Egor Kugno
in order to be enrolled in the Bachelor’s or Master’s Single-Cycle Degrees, applicants must have a foreign title with all of the following elements:
a) It is an official final degree issued by a a secondary school of the foreign reference system;
b) It is a title that, in the reference system, allows students to enroll in courses having a similar nature (e.g. from an academic point of view);
c) It is a title obtained after at least 12 years of education;
d) In case a national test or final examination is provided for, aimed to admission to secondary school education, such requirement must be met also for admission to Italian courses.
In case the secondary education qualification has been awarded at the end of a period of less than 12 years of education, students will have to submit, apart from the secondary school diploma, the following:
a) An academic certification attesting that all first-year University examinations have been successfully passed (in case the local educational system calls for 11 years of education), and for the first two years of University education in case the local educational system calls for 10 years of education);
b) OR the post-secondary qualification obtained in a Non-University higher education institution.
The the degree course in Medicine is a 6-year Single-cycle Degree taught in italian and a national admissions test is required: the number of places and admission procedures will be established later.
For scholarship and accomodation at University of Perugia, that is managed by the agency for the right to study (ADISU), you can apply by following the procedures of the announcement that is published on the page
home | Agenzia per il Diritto allo Studio Universitario dell’Umbria
Il progetto Umbria Academy è coordinato dall’A.Di.S.U. e coinvolge direttamente l’Università di Perugia, l’Università per Stranieri, il Conservatorio Morlacchi di Perugia, l’Accademia di Belle Arti, l’Istituto Superiore di Studi Musicali Briccialdi e l’Opera Pia Bufalini.
Ripartizione Didattica
Ufficio Coordinamento Carriere Studenti
Via della Pallotta 61 — 06126 Perugia
Tel. 075 585 6716

More articles on this country→
This article in Russian→