Medical education at the University of Modena and Reggio Emilia for students from Russia

My questions:
I am Egor Kugno, a 15-year-old pupil of the 9th grade in Moscow school.
I have a small website — / where I write about my studies, exams and publish various answers from Russian ministries (about paying for studies abroad, transferring money for studies and so on)
The first 7 years I studied in an ordinary (good) Moscow school, had additional classes in biology (microbiology) and chemistry; last year I passed through the competition entrance exams to Chemical School #1501 — #10 in the rating of Moscow schools (it is approximately #30 among ALL schools in Russia). The school chemistry was very good — 6 hours a week, all year round (the standard in Russia is 2 hours a week, now there is no chemistry at all in humanities classes), but everything else, except chemistry, was not very good, and I went to 9th grade to school at the Higher School of Economics — (through entrance exams, of course) — where chemistry is a bit less, but everything else is much better)
Although I am still studying 2.5 years, I started researching universities of the world — to understand where I can go to study, what requirements I have to meet, whether to study languages other than English and Spanish that I am studying now at school, and of course — whether my parents will be able to pay for my education.
At the moment I am most interested in medicine (pathology, chemotherapy and hematology), chemistry (more like laboratory management) and pharmacy (more like managing science and research in a pharmaceutical company, but of course with a full understanding of what scientists do, and with a deep knowledge of biochemistry).
Right now I am studying primarily medical education, as it is the most complicated, expensive, there is a lot of information and it is the hardest to find.
Later I will gather information about chemical and pharmaceutical education.
I checked out your university’s website, but I have a few questions for you:
1. Is it possible to enter your university after I finished my 11 years of school in Russia — or do I need to take another course at a university in Russia?
I am studying English (I will graduate with a C1) and advanced chemistry and biology. Starting next year, our school will have compulsory participation in all the Olympiads in Russia for schoolchildren — all in all, it’s a great school.
But, as I wrote, we are only 11, not 12.
2. Do you have any students from Russia who are studying to be a doctor?
3. Are there any quotas for foreigners to study medicine at your university (and are there any quotas for Russians?)
4. Do I understand correctly — I need to study for 6 years?
5. Does your university have dormitories for students for the entire period of study?
5.1 If there are no dormitories (or there is a five-year waiting list), can the university act as a guarantor when renting accommodation?
6. What is the cost of tuition and living in dormitories and all other expenses per year for studying to be a doctor at your university (I mean education-related expenses — i.e. textbooks, labs, etc. — not including food and transportation, of course).
I know that prices are going up, but the overall costs need to be understood early on.
6.1. are there scholarships for Russians to study and/or live in?
7. What exams do I need to take besides English?
7.1 What language certificates do I need to register?
7.2 Is it possible to study in English?
This is an important question because I know that in most countries medical education is done in the national languages of the respective countries and I think that 2.5-3 years of training in any language is enough for level C1 — if taken seriously.
7.3 Are internal Russian achievements recognized and important (participation in Olympiads, successful passing exams in Russian universities)
8. Is it compulsory to take preparatory and/or language courses at your university before entering university?
9. What is the further procedure of training as a doctor after graduation (postgraduate course, residency, specialization) and obtaining a medical license (if you know)?
10. Will I be able to work after graduation?
11. If training to be a doctor is not possible, please tell me if it is possible to study to be a pharmacist (if you have one) and a chemist (biotechnology, as an option — chemical engineering for pharmacy)
Great if you can indicate in your answer if it is possible to study in English for a chemist or a pharmacist)
P.S. Even though I’m only 15 years old, I’ve started seriously looking for a university to get a good education. I have noticed that many universities put information in PDF format on their websites. This, in my opinion, is very wrong. Not everyone REALLY knows English (French, Chinese….), and such guys, going to a university website and not finding information that can be read in Google Translate, will leave forever and not come back.
Sorry for the unsolicited advice))) — But it would be great to have all the information about the university not only in PDF format, but also as plain text on the websites)))
P.S.2. If you have students from Russia, could you give them my email address or forward them my letter?
I would love to talk to them.
Thank you very much again.
Egor Kugno
Dear Egor,
thanks for your interest in our University.
About your questions, first of all i would like to inform you that foreign students who want to study in Italy at any Italian University need an high school leaving qualification conferred on completion of min. 12 years of previous global schooling and need to do a pre-enrolment at the Italian Diplomatic Representation in their country.
At the link
usually around February/March of each year you’ll see the dates to be enrolled at the incoming academic year.
International students who have a course of study of less than 12 years, with only 10 or 11 years of schooling and who have intention to enroll at the University of Pisa, must:
present a certificate attesting the completion of one or two academic years or a post-secondary qualification.
This period of university studies cannot be evaluated for the purpose of granting an abbreviation of the Italian course of study, but it only serves to make up for the missing years to achieve the total 12 years required by the legislation.
For this reason this period is accepted only for enrollment in the 1st year of the course; alternatively, obtain an Italian secondary school diploma;
For a more information about that you can see the document at the link
As an alternative of the degree programme in Medicine and Surgery (6 years)
our University offers the following degree programmes interesting for you:
Pharmaceutical Chemistry and Technology
The list of our degree programmes is available ayt the link
In any case, note that our bachelor’s degree programmes are taught entirely in italian language (the level heartily suggested in order to limit possible problems of comprehension during the studying period is B2, anyway our University offers courses of Italian language for foreign students enrolled (for more information:
Students with specific family unit’s economic condition can access to scholarships and lodgings and/or to a reduction of fees.
More in detail, for scholarships and lodgings, you can consult the ER.GO website
Also you can consult this page
Further information for foreign students regarding our University is shown at the link
As many aspects and questions could change over time, i suggest you to contact us later, when you will be close to your choice.
Best regards
Simone Ballantini
Orientamento allo Studio/InformaStudenti
tel. +39 059 2058255
Università degli Studi di Modena e Reggio Emilia

More articles on this country→
This article in Russian→